You come home after a long, trying day at work. What could be more relaxing than sitting outside in your garden and listening to the soothing flow of water from a garden waterfall? It can drown out the sound of traffic, construction, or the city in general. Even if you have a small urban garden, you can still have a waterfall to sooth away your post-work tension.
The sound of water hitting water can relieve stress, and a waterfall or bubbling urn can add a beautiful focal point to your garden, no matter what size space you have. Keeping the water moving can also minimize the mosquito population as well as attract birds and other wildlife.
Here are a few tips for achieving your goal of a waterfall in your garden:
- Placement: If your waterfall will be in sunlight, the water can evaporate quickly, so you’ll need to keep an eye on the water source. Hufnagel’s designers can help you position your water feature in your overall garden plan.
- Plant Life: Plants and trees that hang over the waterfall can drop leaves that can clog the pump, so be sure to skim it often.
- Pump Strength: The pump for your waterfall must be strong enough to move the water to keep the flow running. The height and width of the fall and the flow rate of the stream will all impact the pump’s required strength.
- Pump Placement: Be sure to position the pump as far away from the waterfall as possible to spread oxygen over the largest area for even distribution.
You also have other options for a smaller garden that may not have room for a whole waterfall. You can install any of these:
- Pondless Waterfall: A Pondless waterfall recirculates a waterfall or stream without the presence of a pond. They work by pumping water contained in a large, in-ground reservoir up and through a spillway, allowing the water to flow back down into the reservoir.
- Bubbling Urns: This features water that flows from an urn into an underground pump that recirculates the water.
- Table Top Fountains: These are small fountains that can often be plugged into an electric outlet that pump water, providing the soothing sound of water in your garden.
Are you ready to add beauty to your garden and peace to your life? We’d love to help. Reach out to Hufnagel today at 201-869-5680 and let us help you get bring water to your garden.